- Art therapists are aware that they are involved in an integrative process in the field of mental health and social care. With their work, they enrich the lives of individuals, families and communities through active art creation, the creative process, applied psychological theory and human experience in a psychotherapeutic relationship. Art therapy is used to improve cognitive and sensorimotor functions, strengthen self-esteem and self-awareness, cultivate emotional resilience, improve social skills, reduce and resolve conflicts and anxiety, and accelerate social change. Respecting the values and beliefs of individuals, art therapists work with people who struggle with medical and mental problems, as well as with people seeking emotional, creative and spiritual development. Art therapists work in hospitals, schools, psychiatric and rehabilitation facilities, community clinics, crisis centres, senior communities and private practices, etc.
- Art therapists need a basic level of practice in art therapy at least. Educational standards include training in the creative process, psychological development, group therapy, art therapy assessment, psychodiagnostics, research methods, and competence in multicultural diversity. Students should also complete a minimum of 100 hours of supervised art therapy practice. Preparatory training in studio arts (drawing, painting, clay, etc.) and core areas of study in psychology are required.
- The practice of art therapy requires knowledge and ability to use the visual arts (drawing, painting, sculpture, and other forms of art) and the creative process, combined with the use of theories and techniques of human development, psychology, and counselling.
On successful completion of this Learning Unit, the participants will be able to:
- identify and define the basic terminology of art therapy
- identify and describe the stages of art therapy development and the boundaries of art therapy
- describe the basic knowledge about the principles of art therapy and their application
- Lectures 5
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 10 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 6
- Assessments Yes